http://eqi.org/eabuse1.htm#Basic Needs in Relationships
Basic Needs in Relationships - This article really makes me think about what I'm putting up with right now. These are the needs I don't have in my marriage:
- The need for emotional support.
- The need to be heard by the other and to be responded to with respect and acceptance
- The need to have your own view, even if others have a different view.
- The need to have your feelings and experience acknowledged as real.
- The need to receive a sincere apology for any jokes or actions you find offensive.
- The need to for freedom from accusation, interrogation and blame.
- The need to live free from criticism and judgment.
- The need to have your work and your interests respected.
- The need for freedom from emotional and physical threat.
- The need for freedom from from angry outburst and rage.
- The need for freedom from labels which devalue you.
- The need to be respectfully asked rather than ordered.
- The need to have your final decisions accepted.
- The need for privacy at times.
That's a very daunting list. To try to improve the marriage right now seems impossible.
I wonder what he'd do if I showed him this list?